Proverbs 4:23 says: Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.
Psalm 130:5 says: I wait for the LORD, my whole being waits, and in his word I put my hope.
Guarding your heart. Purity. A common topic for us Christian girls. But what does it truly mean to guard your heart? What does it mean to pursue what is pure? In our world, these days, girls give their hearts to any guy who smiles at them and says hi. So how can we beat the odds and live for Jesus when all the girls around us aren’t?
Let me tell you, it’s hard to be different when the world is doing what you’re not.
They’re constantly telling us to do something opposite of what God’s Word tells us to do. Let me also tell you that you’re not standing alone. I’m standing for truth too. Here are a few ways that you can guard your heart and pursue what is pure.
- Leave your love story to Jesus
Girls, your hearts are too precious to give away to a guy who is not God’s best. Surrendering your love story to Him is the only time you’ll ever find true love. Whether or not you get married, be willing for God to write your future. Ask the Lord for the grace to be willing to go where He goes, whether or not that ends up in marriage!
- Don’t read, watch, (etc, etc) things that encourage you to give your heart away
So many tv shows, songs, movies, books, magazines, etc show us that it’s ok to give your heart away. That a valuable thing can be thrown this way and that “without pain” and it’s normal. They can do it in big ways, and in bad ways. Shows and books show men and women in relationships and then we start to wish we had a guy by our side. Instead of filling your mind with things like that, fill your mind with Truth – that is, God’s Word. Read the Bible, along with good Christian books and blogs. Here are a few awesome ones!!
- Girl Defined//Kristen Clark and Bethany Baird (check out their awesome blog girldefined.com!! Their blog encourages purity in everyway and it encourages me with each post.
- crownofbeautymagazine.com Livy is such an encouraging girl telling girls that your true Prince is Jesus! Please go check out her awesome blog!! She’s truly a princess of Jesus.
- Set Apart Girl magazine/books You may have heard of When God Writes Your Love Story, Set Apart Femininity and such. If not, I highly encourage you to read them! They’re awesome books!! Leslie Ludy is an amazing writer who has many beautiful books!
- Focus on others and your walk with Jesus
If all you’re focused on is getting a guy, how will you push Him to Jesus if a guy ever does come into your life? Focus on your walk with Jesus, how you can reach out to others. Set your eyes on Jesus (the author of your faith!!). See how you can help out your family, how you can serve Jesus in your church, your community. Get your eyes off of feeling bad for yourself and choose to put Jesus first and others second, and lastly, yourself third.
I hope that this encouraged you to pursue purity and guard your heart.
Before I go, I want to tell you girls something. You are all priceless princesses of Jesus, whether or not you ever get married. Your heart of gold is something too beautiful to throw around and give away. Don’t give into temptation.
I’d love to hear your feedback! How will you guard your heart? How will you live out these tips I’ve shared? Please share your feedback in the comments below lovelies!
Photo cred: https://stocksnap.io/photo/S20UK2DRP0